Give Now

FAFSA Application Instructions

Fill out the FAFSA

The first step in applying for financial assistance is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Renewal Application. Be sure to identify Butler Community College on your application using our Federal School Code: 001906.

By completing the FAFSA or the Renewal Application, you will be applying for the following types of Federal Student Aid: grants, work-study employment, and Stafford loans. 

There are two options for processing the FAFSA: 

  • Should you wish to process your FAFSA Application or FAFSA Renewal Application electronically, you (and your parents if required) will need a FSA ID. The FSA ID will serve as your electronic signature(s) on the FAFSA. Without a FSA ID, you must print the signature page and mail the page to the federal processor, which will slow down your processing. The process will be quicker if you acquire your FSA ID prior to filing the electronic FAFSA. Do not share your FSA ID with anyone. For help, visit Student Aid.
  • If you prefer to process a paper FAFSA, mail the paper application to the federal processing center using the address that is provided with the FAFSA. Be sure to include your signature (and your parents if required). Do not mail any supporting documents with your application, the federal processing center will destroy any additional documents. 

If you answer 'No' to all of the FAFSA dependency questions, a parent signature and income information is required.

FAFSA online applications are available January 1 for the upcoming academic year. Applications should be completed well in advance of each semester's registration. This allows aid to be awarded prior to the start of the term. Aid is awarded for the full academic year, excluding summer, and is based on full-time enrollment (12 credit hours). Applications should be completed by April 1 for the following fall semester.

Selective Service

If you are male you must be registered with Selective Service in order to receive Federal student aid. If you believe that you are not required to register, call the Selective Service office at 1.847.688.6888 for information regarding exemptions.